A long time ago, in a far off life, I worked for a department store fragrance counter. I loved that job and learned so much about how to help others choose the right fragrance for themselves. So many of my customers felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of options and who can blame them? There are so many choices and so many questions, like what is the difference between an eau du toilette and an eau du parfum? And how do you know which fragrance is right for your skin?
Here are a few tips that I learned:
1. Always try a fragrance on your skin and wear it for at least an hour: Oftentimes when a fragrance sits on your skin for an hour or even a few hours, you will notice that the scent will change. Each of us has a unique chemical blend and the same fragrance can smell completely different on each of us!
2. Skip the paper testers and just spray it on your skin: You need to make sure you don’t have any kind allergic reaction to a new fragrance. I have found a few fragrances over the year that I absolutely love in the bottle, but every time I wear them I end up sneezing! Most of my clients were allergy free with their fragrance choices, but a few ended up with little red bumps on their skin and that is no fun either.
3. Choose a seasonal Fragrance: Summertime is the perfect time to go light with your fragrance. Try a fresh citrus blend or a sweet floral!
4. Know your fragrance strength: Even though each company may vary slightly with the strength of their fragrances, a general rule is that an eau du cologne will contain the weakest concentration of fragrance. An eau du toilette will be a little more concentrated, followed by an eau du parfum. Perfume contains the highest concentration of fragrance and usually has a higher price tag to match.
5. Always choose a fragrance in a bottle you love: If you are going to spend your money on a fragrance you love, then definitely choose something in a bottle you want to see every day!
Here are my top 15 summer fragrance favorites right now:
1. Valentino’s Valentina 2. Kate Spade Live Fully 3. Chloe Eau de Parfum 4. Jimmy Choo Eau de Parfum 5. Jessica Simpson Vintage Bloom 6. Kiehl’s Orange Flower and Lychee 7. Fresh Sugar Lemon 8. Flora by Gucci, Glorious Mandarin 9. Marc Jacobs Daisy Eau So Fresh 10. Cartier Baiser vole d’Amour 11. Narciso Rodriguez l’eau for her 12. Miss Dior Eau du Parfum 13. Guerlain Floral Romantique 14. Ralph Lauren Romance Summer Blossom 15.BVLGARI- Charms- Omni Coral